Caldervale Forge, Established 1902 Airdrie Scotland, Historical Notes
Caldervale Forge, Clarkston has undergone a change. The old shovel and hand tool making plant has been removed - a new home having been found for it at The Summerlee Heritage Trust Museum, Coatbridge, where it has taken its place as an historical working unit in the section devoted to the industrial development of the area.
The old buildings are also no more. On the same site is a new building to house the future expansion of the 'Rockeater' Hydraulic Breaker steels' manufacturing side of the company.
This brings us up to the third stage. This comprised of an additional manufacturing area plus a new Head Office housing all administrative facilities plus a spacious Conference Room. Landscaping of our surrounding ground has turned our site into a model industrial feature. With continued expansion in the market and the necessary introduction of more and greater capacity of CNC Machine Tools and sophisticated heat treatment plant - accommodation has become of greater importance. It was therefore decided to maximise the covered space from the total unused ground in our possession. This will double the extension and keep us ahead of our demand for factory space.
Caldervale Forge has come a long way from its beginning in 1902 when it manufactured shovels and hand tools mainly for the Mining and Railway industries. Post War, after an initial spurt, demand fell away. These industries themselves became casualties and the Forge went into a slow down. The gap was filled by the sister company, Caldervale Tool Company, who entered the contract quarry drilling industry and whose experience in rock breaking was to prove useful in the future. Also from the Tool Company an introduction to heat treatment through its excursion into the manufacturing of quarry rock drills led to the formation of a separate unit. This company was formed to serve the needs of the metal industry as Heat Treatment Specialists. This it continues to do; and in so doing has gained a high reputation.
In 1950 New management took over and expanded the company into quarry drilling and for the next 25 years was a major influence in this field,operating in hard rock - granite & basalt - in Scotland
With the introduction into the construction industry of heavier rock breaking tools than the hand held breakers generally used in the 70's, the demand for hydraulic hammer tools started to slowly grow.The Forge started Manufacturing Hydraulic Rock Breaker tool bits under the "ROCKEATER" and "SCOTBURSTER" brand names. These hammer steels had a wider and wider appeal in the home market to the present stage where we have full coverage over the whole of the United Kingdom including Northern Ireland. We are one of the World market leaders and first choice with a large section of the construction and plant hire industry. Two decades ago we entered the export market visiting our nearest neighbours, France, Portugal and Spain. These we have cultivated as markets with a great deal of success. From there we pushed on covering the Low Countries, Germany, Austria and Switzerland - in effect most of Europe can now benefit from having 'Rockeater' Steels for their rock breaking requirements. Supplies are regularly made to the Middle East and Africa with telling effect, while in Canada and to the USA, 'Rockeater' Steels are very well received.
Quality Assurance plays a large part in our thinking and both the Forge and Heat Treatment Companies hold certificate and operate a Quality Management System in accordance with BS EN ISO 9001:2000.
Attention to detail plus a constant awareness of customer needs are key elements in our marketing strategy and this, together with the fact that demand is world wide, we are confident our new developments will enable us to pursue these markets with even greater effect and place Scotland on the map as a major source.
In 1989 it was decided to link the separate companies under one corporate banner and this was achieved by the
formation of a holding company named Caldervale Engineering Services Limited with an increased capital base.
The purpose was to provide a suitable plank for growth for the next two decades.
“Early Days - Old Share Certificate issued on 8th November 1902”